Tuesday, October 17, 2017

This song choice was inspired by today's Google Doodle, which is honoring the release of Selena's first album, released on this day back in 1989. The Doodle is awesome. Check it out. Jon once told me he wanted to date a "Spanish" girl, which was ridiculous. 😅 I told him he had found the most Americanized Spanish girl imaginable. He tried to speak Spanish - terribly. And I would correct him and then regret teaching him the right words. I think part of his interest was that culturally, Latin people tend to be more collectivistic, more about family. Not that we don't have problems, because we do. Jon's family had been fragmented due to awful circumstances. He loved them and wanted to connect with them, but it was also sometimes painful. In his 20s, as is common for people living with trauma and mental illness, he self-medicated. As a result, he was fairly isolated. It's hard to know how to help someone in that situation. He would envy my family. "If I had your parents, I would have turned out a lot better." It breaks my heart. At his core, he was such a gentle, caring, and vulnerable soul. It's what I love most about him. #asongforjon #mentalhealth #depression #suicideprevention #love #relationships #grief #grieving #loss #survivor #musicproject #playlist #spotify #selenaquintanilla #dreamingofyou


No comments:

Post a Comment